>>I doubt that you can do this without some assistance from the intervening
>>page. While browsers have a history object,
<<<

This is not exactly the same thing, but the following does access the
history object successfully. I don't know JavaScript that well, but it's not
a stretch to think you could access and capture the url.

This may help too:
http://www.dannyg.com/javascript/quickref/index.html

HTH

-Craig

<head>
        <title>GO BACK</title>

<script language="javascript">

        function goHistory(form)
                {

                                window.history.go(parseInt(form.num.value));
                }

</script>
</head>

<form>
<select name="num">

<option value="-1">-1</option>
        <option value="-2">-2</option>
                <option value="-3">-3</option>
                        <option value="-4">-4</option>

</select>
<input type="button" value="GO THIS MANY PAGES BACK"
onClick="goHistory(this.form)">