Depends on what they are talking about.  I see project management as
the abiity to meet deliverables within constraints.

Sounds like they may be talking about methodology, which defines the
project to be managed.  Each studio has their own favour, with each
stage having dleiverables, something like this:

01-Identification
*Creative Brief
*Proposal

02-Definition