I've used lucene to index hundreds of thousands of records without a discernable problem so far.  You don't use cfsearch to search them, but  you can put together some pretty simple code that will do the same job.  I have a couple of cfcs that do it for me - they're somewhat customized to the apps they're a part of but it's not a big deal to make a reusable one.

cheers,
Toby