from what I can work out (and I'm not the sysadmin, just a concerned
coder working with those servers), the patch has problems when JRUN
requests large chunks of contiguous memory

here's some info from our sysadmins

I'm surprised this hasn't had a big red flag waiving in the CF world

====================================
This is a followup to my earlier episode of issues with restarting
Java services after patching server with the mandatory MS06-040 patch.
 The saga continues...

Anyway, there are a number of people running JVM with the same awful
experience (see http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=759413)

MS realised this but made no mention in the MS06-040 patch page that
there is a hotfix available, which is this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924054

In summary, what it says is:

Programs that request lots of contiguous memory, such as one gigabyte
or more, may fail with an unexpected error after you install security
update 921883 on a 32-bit Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1
(SP1)-based computer. For example, programs such as Microsoft Business
Solutions - Navision 3.7 may fail.

So, it depends on how much memory requested by the program, the larger
the amount, the more likely it will die.  In our case, all production
CF servers have massive memory (2GB & more) and JVM is given a large
chunk of it.  Hence, the MS06-040 caused them to crash.  Not so with
the staging/development servers with much less memory and hence less
allocation for their JVM.  That explains why on some servers this
patch cause problems & others it does not.

I've NOT applied them to  the staging/development servers because they
are not causing problem there & MS said:

A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only
intended to correct the problem that is described in this article.
Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem.
This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not
severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the
next Windows Server 2003 service pack that contains this hotfix.

I've verified that after applying this & restarting, the previous
service that crashes is no longer crashing (good news).  I've also
re-enabled all the self-test IISTEST script which were disabled
earlier.