> and secondly, if our business moves from CF to JSP, am I going to be able to
> salvage the existing CF applications easily?

sorry to say, no hope.

do you use an MVC pattern much? do you have the view done up as
re-usable custom tags in a tag library?

one of Robin Hilliard's pearls of wisdom is to identify what/where
your expensive code is: what is critical to an app that took lots of
resources (people, hours, dev time, testing) to create.

if that expensive code is all in your business and model layers (eg:
as CFC's) then, sorry to say if you want it as Java, it's re-write
time.

if it's in the UI (don't laugh, I've seen apps where the business and
model are [almost] autogenerated but the expense was in the UI getting
the Javascript and tab-orders right)  - and it's in taglibs - then the
transfer from cfml to jsp won't be too bad - lots of similarities
between JSP taglibs and CF ones (and the HTML and JS won't change)

in short:
CF to JSP/Java conversion will be along the lines of CF to, say, PHP
or .NET. Apples and oranges.

best answer? try to talk them out of the move.

ADDITIONAL: there's an interesting article by Hal Helms in the July
edition of the ColdFusion Developers Journal ("A new vision for
ColdFusion") that raises interesting points about CF and Java. While
the points are not new, IMHO it's  well worth the read before your
bosses send you down this path.

eh, my 2c. nothing more.