I think you've got it right in your earlier conclusions, Steve. When it
comes to using Java functionality from within CF, such as only
"undocumented" from the perspective of a CF person learning about them from
the CF docs. They're the same, real java methods available with any Java
class and CF is indeed using the real Java classes under the covers
(particularly with respect to things like strings, integers, etc.)

As for whether things could change, that has only to do with whether the JVM
changes underneath the CF server (whether by your CF Admin doing it
manually, which they can, or by way of a new CF version having a new JVM
version built-in). But as for the kind of methods being discussed here, it
would be very unlikely to change. That's the benefit (and point) of publicly
documented APIs in the Java class library: you should be able to rely on
them and know that they'd only change if they absolutely must. Going back to
the "documentation" aspect, such changes would be very well-documented in
the Java API docs for the version you're running.

If you need to know what JVM you're running on currently (under CF), I'm
sure Someone here can remind you of the couple of lines of CFML code
(calling the java library) to report it. It's also reported in the CF Admin
in the JVM settings page (and overall "settings summary" page).

/Charlie
http://www.carehart.org/blog/