Here's a technote from Sun, regarding Java.. the underlying subsystem of
ColdFusion:

http://java.sun.com/developer/JDCTechTips/2001/tt0807.html

I wouldn't expect this to be in the CF documentation. It's not Adobe's problem.

From: cfaussie@googlegroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Gareth
Edwards
Sent: Tuesday, 20 February 2007 1:42 PM
To: cfaussie@googlegroups.com
Subject: [cfaussie] Re: Strange calculation behavior on CF 7.02

Now.... you show me in the Coldfusion Documentation where this is outlined as a
known issue?

Cheers
Gareth.

Ryan Sabir wrote:

Doesn't really matter why... Maybe there's a gremlin that lives in the last
0.0000000000015 of every floating point number. Every now and then he will wake
up and mess up your number, and sometime's he'll stay asleep. Write your code
expecting he might pop round for a visit, and he won't bother you.

If you really want to find out why, then you'll need to do some pretty hard
core maths to work out how fractions are represented in binary. I prefer to
leave that to the geeks who work at Intel and AMD while I get on with my work.