> What exactly is a 'CF number'?

All simple CF variables are stored as strings.  When used as numbers
in an expression they have 12 significant digits according to the
documentation, which I assume is a java Float (a Double would have
more).

As for a solution in CFML, I wouldn't mind an optional second
argument to round(), fix(), ceil() etc that defaulted to 0 and
specified the number of decimal places to round to (Excel VBA has this).

I imagine that changing the type used to represent numbers internally
or building rounding into all number handling may impact legacy cf
apps and server performance - I would be against a change if either
were true.

Cheers,
Robin

______________

Robin Hilliard
Director - RocketBoots Pty Ltd
Consulting . Recruitment . Software Licensing . Training
http://www.rocketboots.com.au

For schedule/availability call Pamela Higgins:
w    +61 7 5451 0362
m    +61 419 677 151
f    +61 3 9923 6261
e    [EMAIL PROTECTED]