I'm thinking that the best idea would be to do both, first validate
the number then submit to the web service.  The web service will
probably be slow at times, so you wouldn't want to waste time
submitting a typo.

My approach is to validate, ask the user to check that what they have
entered is correct, then submit.

regards,
Stephen