Hi Mark,

you will find that the heap size is limited to various values, depending
on the underlying JVM and on the operating system.

On Windows with a JVM 1.4.x it used to be something around 1.2/1.3 GB,
that increased to roughly 1.4 GB with JVM 1.5 .

A while ago I heard someone mentioning that JRockit JVMS allow you
to address more heap memory but then you might run into other issues
in regards to running CF on them (not supported etc.)

You will find memory limitations on Linux and Solaris as well - a nice
way out would be to run a 64 bit OS/JVM or to look into Bruce's
suggestion to set up a multi-server CF/Jrun installation.

Cheers,
Kai

>We're setting up our production boxes, and we would very much like to
>take advantage of the 4GB of ram sitting on them.
>
>Currently if we set the heap size in CFAdmin to larger htan 1.4 GB, CF
>refuses to start up.  I'm wondering if there is a way to push this
>value up higher, as we tend to store a lot of things in memory.
>
>They are Windows 2003 Servers, but we're happy to look at other OS
>options if necessary.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Mark

Kai Koenig