It is strange that such a basic feature isn't supported, but I wouldn't say
it makes Derby a toy DB. For years MySQL didn't support subqueries. It was
frustrating (and still is for those of us who still have to support those
versions) but practically every technology needs the odd workaround. e.g.
regex in coldfusion

Blair