Thanks everyone for the lively discussion!

To try and test this issue I pulled all the code out of the includes
into the parent and was still getting the same crap.

I finally got a reply from HostMySite.com:

"This has to do with the MySQL server closing connections and CF not
knowing about it.  I have unchecked "Maintain connections across
client requests" for your DSN as this will force CF to reconnect each
time.  While it does add a little overhead, its the only way to
correct the problem you're having.  Basically, because CF is caching
its connection to the MySQL server, it thinks that there is an open
connection, when in fact the MySQL server probably closed the
connection.  We need to keep our timeouts low on MySQL servers to
prevent reaching max connection limits due to poor coding on some of
our customers sites."

This sounds like a crock of shit. This should be blowing all sorts of
gaskets, not just missing variables.

This is the strangest thing I've seen ColdFusion do in a long time and
doesn't really explain it, but it did seem to solve the problem.

Congrats on the move Scott! Missed you at WebDU this year, I didn't
have anyone to watch Fin drink me under the table.

PS: I'm looking for CF/Flex developers in Canberra again, so if anyone
has some recommendations, please let me know. The projects will be
many and varied and hopefully very interesting.

Cheers

David Heacock
Internet Director
ZOO Communications