Barry Beattie wrote:
> that's a good point (OK, so I haven't gotten to that far yet)
>
> CFThread and getTickCount()?

We have a client that uses a webservice for their main engine and the
website is just one of several wrappers for it. They actually have two
web services, one in Brisbane and the other in Melbourne to give them
the best chance of one being reachable with us being in Sydney in the
middle.

We do a straight <cfhttp to the webservice to see if its there and then
if it responds start the requests. No cfthread (the site is on MX 6.1)
just timeouts and try/catch code. If one fails then try the other and if
that fails try the first again and do that up to 5 times and then give up.

We find that works fine and find that the main webservice http call
misses about once every couple of days and the other usually picks it
up. It is always a simple "Connection Timeout" form the http request.

What we have found is that if things are going to fall over big time it
happens at both ends at the same time! Twice in the last year there have
been overlapping server/database failures at both datacentres which are
run by separate companies not related to us (part of the client's "too
many eggs" precautions). Interesting odds.

--

Yours,

Kym Kovan
mbcomms.net.au