Steve Onnis wrote:
> Kym
>
> What I am wanting to do it log them to a file server.  Currently I am
> logging locally but my stats server grabs the log files across the network
> and processes them.  Was hoping I could just log it all directly to the
> stats server.

That is exactly what we were wanting to do but could not make it work
reliably. I imagine it would depend on a few variables, how many sites
involved, how big the log files, what technique the stats server uses to
read the files, etc.

In our case it was many log files, some of them 100s of Megs in a day,
and the permanently open connections bogged the network down. We use
DeepMetrix's LiveStats ISP version which has an amazingly good engine to
read the log files and we found that we could not get close to its
native performance with it reading the logs remotely. We did some
peeking and found that it was doing "Tail" type reads of the log files,
maybe a Meg every 5 minutes on the high traffic sites it was very
efficient, just a blink and it was done. LiveStats was an excellent
product, well designed and did its job perfectly until they "improved"
it and it went backwards and then Microsoft bought the firm and that was
that :-(

--

Yours,

Kym Kovan