Is there a performance issue ? don't prematurely optimise unless you have to:)

how does your app perform with your max expected number of users
and directories being checked?

file systems are pretty fast these days.

jmeter is pretty easy to setup to test this kinda load, there's a
quick guide on my blog if your intersted

--
Zac Spitzer -
http://zacster.blogspot.com (My Blog)