From: Mike Kear [mailto:afpwebwo...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 3:56 PM
To: cfaussie@googlegroups.com
Subject: [cfaussie] Re: Validating dates ... what's the trick?

The problem is i'm building the date from 3 dropdowns for day,  month
and year, so the day dropdown has 1-31 on it.   Therefore it's
possible to select 31/Feb/2009.

Then if you try to validate the date from the form, by  feeding those
three values into the LSIsDate() function, or the IsValid(Date) or any
other date function, first of all you have to  give those functions a
date object.  To do that you use createdate()  which chunders if you
give it 31/Feb/2009    So therefore the function LSIHisDate can never be
tested on an invalid date (which is its main purpose for living after
all) .

This same point applies to  IsDate() and IsValid("eurodate", ...  and
IsValid("date", ... )  because they take a date object as an argument,
 and you can't create an invalid date object.

Unless i'm missing something here,  it seems that these date
validation functions have no use.  The way you check validity of dates
is to either design the form so people can't enter invalid dates (e.g.
using a date picker) and/or using try/catch around the createdate()
function.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month