Ryan, had you seen the note I'd shared with more ideas and possible
explanations, attached?

/charlie

-----Original Message-----
From: cfaussie@googlegroups.com [mailto:cfaus...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Ryan Sabir
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 5:24 AM
To: cfaussie@googlegroups.com
Subject: [cfaussie] Re: CF8 "file not found" strangeness

Thanks Glen, good idea I'll try that.

Yeah unfortunately this site was set up by my client before I came on
the scene. I've worked with WebCentral before but it's never been this
bad.

seeya

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM, nkosi<glenrainb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> As opposed to using FTP have you tried adding a cfm page that does a
> cffile action="upload" (overwrite)? You can try upload a .cfm file via
> the upload cfm and see if you get the same issue i.e. 'File not
> found'. Also try using FileExists().
>
> Via the upload cfm page try upload a cfm file, hit it in you browser,
> then upload the cfm again (with a small change) and hit it again. Then
> upload another cfm, DON'T hit it in your browser, then upload the cfm
> again with a small change. If you get the 'File not found' error from
> scenario 1 and not in scenario 2 then I'd guess it is CF template
> caching. If you get it in both 1 and 2 then there is some file system
> permissions based issue (perhaps they're hosting files on a remote NAS
> box). If you don't get the error for either then the problem is with
> FTP - user permissions or maybe even the FTP client.
>
> By the way those are some pretty awful support responses - I'd be
> nervous if they were hosting any of my sites :)
>
> Cheers
> Glen

--- Begin Message ---
Ah right, shared hosting. :-( Forgot. (And yes, those really are tragic
replies you’re getting from them.)

Here’s one more simple possible explanation and fix.  It could be that while
you were uploading the file, someone requested it right while it was being
uploaded, which would have involved a delete of the old and placement of the
new. But CF could have cached internally the fact that that url resulted in
a 404. (This is a bug that was t o have been fixed in 7.02,though.) Again,
clearing the template cache should help, but since you can’t do that, try
this.

You say you upload the file again, and it still fails. Well, some ftp
clients will set the date/time for the uploaded file to be that which was
set for the file on your local environment (before uploading it, as opposed
to setting the uploaded file’s date/time to the time of the upload). Your
link with the screenshot of the directory list is not working now, so I
can’t see what it says.

But anyway, try to get the file date/time to change on the server to a
date/time later than whatever it is now for the file you’re trying you read.
You want to cause CF to detect that the file has changed, so that it will
pick it up and reload it (unless the “trusted cache” setting is on in the
Admin, which is not likely in a shared hosting situation).

If you don’t know how to get your client to set that on the upload, then
instead edit the file on your local machine so that its date is updated, and
then upload it.

If that’s not it, or you’re not convinced to try it, I’d go back to asking
them to clear the template cache. I realize that with their
less-than-supportive answers so far, you don’t have much hope they would
even click that simple button as a test for you. But I don’t think you
should give up so quickly on getting this important diagnostic info. Can you
at least ask them? And then run your tests immediately after? They may be
willing (if you knew the Admin password, you could call the Admin API
yourself, btw, without needing to press that button, but without the admin
password, you cannot do that).

It could be that these things have no connection at all to your problem. It
is indeed a curious one and I’ll look forward to hearing how you solve it,
if ever.

/charlie

PS if you want to read more about the problem of 404’s being cached, which
was to have been fixed in 7.02, Steven Erat had written about it here:

http://www.talkingtree.com/blog/index.cfm?mode=entry
<http://www.talkingtree.com/blog/index.cfm?mode=entry&entry=88BDF4E4-50DA-05
59-A023C957D70CD2EC> &entry=88BDF4E4-50DA-0559-A023C957D70CD2EC

BTW, he noted that the problem could also happen if the CF template in
question was being accessed over a UNC path. Since you’re on a hosted
server, you can’t know if that’s the case (in terms of how your file
location appears relative to the CF server), but it’s possible that it is on
a UNC path from the server. Here’s his entry on that issue:

http://www.talkingtree.com/blog/index.cfm/2005/7/27/UNC4CFMX