Barry, to be clear, just upgrading to CF8 won't get you the CF Server
Monitor--you do need to be using the Enterprise (or Developer) edition.

As for how they compare, no one has done a close analysis (that I know of).
I will say that I use both, every day, often on the same server (both my own
and those of others): yes, that means that I and others run FusionReactor on
CF 8/9 Enterprise/Developer servers. It may seem redundant, but it's not.

For instance, FR does tremendous logging. The CF Server Monitor does none.
Sometimes, you need to see details of what was happening in the past (such
as before a crash, or just hours/days/months ago), and having those FR logs
can be vital. They track each request, each query (if such tracking is
enabled for a DSN), as well as overall stats every 5 seconds (by default)
which high-level counters like number of running/completed requests, number
of running/completed queries, memory use, CPU (CF and system), and more.

I am also surprised to find that both the memory graph in both the CF
Monitor and SeeFusion show the top of the y axis as the amount of
*allocated* memory, rather than the max memory (xmx). Of course, if mxs=xmx,
then it's not an issue, but for those who do run xms<xmx, the graphs in
those other monitors can lead one to think "memory is running out", when
it's not.

All that said, I'm a fan of all three monitoring tools. Each adds something
that the other doesn't.  My focus here was more on your specific point,
about whether a CF 8/9 Enterprise server would benefit from having FR as
well. And again, for sure, if you're not going to be running Enterprise,
then you will want to consider either FR or SF (or both). I actually run all
three (on multiple servers) and have found there to be no negative impact
from them, though I realize our inclination would be that any monitoring
must cause some overhead.

/charlie