On 26/05/2010 15:14, Mark Mandel wrote:
What are other companies out there doing? I.e. have people had
experience with MS knocking on their door? Or any other platform? Anyone
know first hand?

(I'm still waiting for the PHP evangelists to come knocking).

I've missed all the fun as I was busy this morning, installing yet another SQL2008 server to handle yet more clients and a couple more VMs to put them on. Not showing off, just simple fact.

We are a CF-only hosting company and yes, we are not cheap as hosting in Oz is not cheap, that's _all_ hosting not just CF hosting. Like Steve said it costs 2K a month to have a rack in a decent datacentre, we pay well into 5 figures a month for hosting costs but for that sort of money you get a degree of reliability that you don't get elsewhere. Its the old, old story, you get what you pay for. We don't have 400 sites on one web server or 200 databases on a DB server, that's what happens when you pay $5 a month for your hosting. And if the power wobbles, we keep going.

I got two phone calls yesterday relevant to this conversation, one from a prospective client who was fed up with the poor service at their existing hosting company, its in Brisbane and owned by a Victorian company if you know the one I mean. They are coming to us at twice the price they were paying before to get something that actually works (and I'm talking $55pm for a CMS site not thousands for a big business site).

The other phone call was from Microsoft! They did come knocking at our door, metaphorically speaking! Wanted to know if we were happy, etc. We are a CF shop but we are also a Windows shop, we own quite a few Win2008 Datacentre licenses and SQL2008 ditto, we do spend serious (by small business standards) money with them even if we compete with their web technology.

And talking of evangelising we have decided to put our CMS into the public domain and really start promoting cfml as a language and note the use of "cfml" there not "Coldfusion". I think that is important now, it is in the public domain at the application platform level, it is not just Adobe any more and we need to start making noises.

Here in Sydney the last Coldfusion User Group meeting was a long time ago, we now have an Adobe Platform User Group and Chris does a grand job but apart from me jumping up and down and mentioning cfml at every opportunity in the audience there has been no CF content in ages, its all Flex and Flash, etc. The Adobe Way.

I have been thinking seriously about having a cfml user group, not directly connected to Adobe to see if we can attract a new crew of developers. Is that a viable idea?

--

Yours,

Kym Kovan
mbcomms.net.au