@Kym:  you make an excellent point.    I normally look at data in a table by
running a query, so i'm looking at query results in Management Studio.    So
i used the Open table and looked at the data that way, and still see the
same effect.  I have dates in the table showing as 23/05/2010 12:00:00 AM
and 5/02/2010 12:00:00 AM  when they should all show as being in May.

Also if i run a query on the table in coldfusion and cfdump the results,  i
see the same results.

@Dale, thanks for your input.  I also have 18 other databases on this
server, and don't have this problem with them,  and I usually use either
createodbcdate() or  <cfqueryparam   with a type of CF_SQL_TIMESTAMP
 or CF_SQL_DATE.

However in this case I have about 300 files of historical code that has
worked fine on a server at fasthit and now i have it on my server it's
giving this result.      Re-writing the whole application is not a
reasonable option, because the client's not going to pay me to re-write his
existing code,  no matter how much I'd like to.     The code is legacy,
dating back to CF5  for the most part and i would dearly love to see it
modernised for a lot of reasons.   But that is going to have to wait.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion 9 Enterprise, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month