I didn't say remnant I said artifact, maybe they mean the same thing :)
Agreed it's an artifact of the J2EE spec and server (in this case JRun).

Re: Railo, it has some cool mechanisms to store session data centrally or
distributed for example you can use EHCache. I'm just recalling some of the
presentations at cfoanz. I've never done it but it make sense and seems like an
alternative to using 'replication' between CF instances which seems to use
multicasting and rmi etc and is dependant on JRun or Tomcat or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone