Similar to Dale's suggestion. We embed keys in certificates upon
completion of our e-learning courses. They comprise known things like
clientID, executionID or whatever else identifies the item and then we
just hash it. We then allow governing bodies to login and enter the
key (which appears on the printed certificate) to verify it's validity
and currency.

Rawdy