Hey Steve,
Problem sounds familiar...
Are you getting this error message using remote CFHTTP or SOAP calls
to your SSL site from a remote CF application?
If so you need to export the public certificate from the target site
into the CF certificate store of the calling site.
Just hit the target site with a browser from the calling server, click
the SSL padlock and follow the prompts to export the site cert and
save it on disk. Then use portecle to install it in the cert store,
typically at C:\ColdFusion8\runtime\jre\lib\security\cacerts