Hi Mike,

I won't comment about CF or any other database server, but this is possible
with SQL server.

you need to create a link to your distant server first. Then in your
example, instead of using a cftransaction and 2 cfquery with different dsn,
you'd have something along the line of

<cfquery dsn="local">
  being tran t1
    begin try

        INSERT into linkedserver.distantdatabase.dbo.table
       values(...)

        Update eventrecord
        SET  exportedToRemoteDB = true

       COMMIT
    begin catch

        Update eventrecord
        SET  exportedToRemoteDB = true

    end catch
  end try
<cfquery>

I'm sure ant modern dbms would have a similar mechanism, but I'm very much a
sql server fan boy, so it's the only thing I know ;-)

as for actual cross-server transactions, you can configure something called
DTC (Distributed Transaction Coordinator). It's pretty much an engine that
allows a tran between 2 or more linked servers to be shared, and that
manages commits and rollbacks as a whole.

hope this helps.

Tof