Really, a service layer is a public facing API to a grouping of
functionality.

This could mean accessing multiple gateways, or interacting with other
services, or adding extra caching or other functionality around existing
gateway methods.

A gateway is just data access - nothing more.

Mark

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Gavin Baumanis <beauecli...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> OK. By implementing onMissingMethod - I have saved some (perhaps, nearly
> all) of the extra typing...
>
> But the extra "layer" is still in my application.
> And now it's a little less apparent than actually having the extra code
> actually written in the service CFCs.
>
> While I realise you're specifically speaking to my complaint of duplicate
> code...
> I'm still skeptical - as to the requirement of having the separation in
> the first place.
> Where's the smoking gun?
>
> I'm genuinely not tying to be argumentative for the sake of being
> argumentative - But simply taking it on faith, because "everyone" says so,
> isn't cutting the mustard for me at the moment.
>
> Gavin.
>

> On Thursday, January 5, 2012 9:39:54 AM UTC+11, Mark Mandel wrote:
>
>> Why not use onMissingMethod and Abstract Classes to proxy service calls
>> down to the gateway, and that takes away 95% of the work? (real world
>> statistic)
>>
>> Mark
>>
>  --

E: mark.man...@gmail.com