Sorry if it's a dumb question Steve,  but like you, I wouldn't have thought
'username' or 'password' would be reserved words.   Have you checked that
the problem goes away if you change the variable names to something else?
 (and therefore prove that it's the variable names that are causing the
problem?)

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks
http://afpwebworks.com
ColdFusion 9 Enterprise, PHP, ASP, ASP.NET hosting from AUD$15/month