I quite like "Twitter Bootstrap" and it includes autocomplete that can be
used just as you require.

With post some source code tomorrow. In the meantime check out Twitter
Bootstrap here (they call it typeahead):

http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/javascript.html#typeahead

Cheers!

Peter Tilbrook
Web Administrator, The Club Group Pty. Ltd.
Managing Director, ColdGen Internet Solutions
Professional Adobe ColdFusion Application Development
President, ACT and Region ColdFusion Users Group
PO Box 2247
Queanbeyan, NSW, 2620
AUSTRALIA

Tel: +61-2-6104-9981