Yes, Phil. Many have had such issues. There are some subtleties to when some
experience it and not others.

One thing I will suggest: use a client dev tool to watch closely the cookies
being sent and received between the browser and CF. Watch for what’s changing,
what’s duplicated, and ESPECIALLY whether the values you set on the server (as
in your CFCookie) are exactly you expect when received in the response by the
client.

For instance, there’s a new encodeValue attribute for CFCookie (in CF10) which
can be used to change the default that has CF urlencoding any value you may
set, which could be a reason things do not work as you may expect when setting
cfcookie. (Of course, that would have no impact on the issue you raise for
folks who do not set cfcookie themselves, but many do, and this is one of the
ways that problems may start.)

In fact, you may want to try not setting the jsessionid cookie at all. I had a
client doing that, and he stopped it, and his problem went away (I proposed he
might have resolved it with the new attribute above but he realized he really
didn’t need to be setting it at all.)

Also, you mention setting the jsessionid on the query string. That’s another
thing that’s being handled differently since the session fixation fix, I think
you’ll find. You may want to avoid doing that, or again at least pay close
attention to the cookies that CF is trying to set. You may find that it’s doing
session rotation in the background on you, which should work fine, but maybe
your attempts to rewrite the cookies is being confused by that change in
behavior. (This notion of session fixation and rotation is not new for CF10,
but was added in a CF security hotfix in 2012 for CF 8 and 9 which many simply
never applied at the time, or only got recently after updating their servers
with the recent spate of vulnerabilities, whether adding security hotfixes in 8
or 9.0 or 9.0.1, or moving to 9.0.2 or 10 which automatically included any
available as of May 2012.)

HTH.

/charlie