Phil,

A couple of things you can try if you haven't already.

1) Fully patch ColdFusion 10.
2) Make sure that the Connectors have been removed an re-added to the site
in question.
3) Remove all connectors and make sure that any previous version of
ColdFusion connectors have been removed.

I did a quick Google search, and there is a variety of reasons. The main
was is what Dale was stating, the others what I suggest above.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1017340
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15234605/coldfusion-sessions-dropped-when-initiated-by-a-different-domain

I would give the Connector issue a go first, as this has had serious
implications with CGI and other stuff when people have forgotten to remove
and re-add the connectors.

Regards,
Andrew Scott
WebSite: http://www.andyscott.id.au/