Nested sets are so rad. I fell in love with them back when I read joe
celko's "sql for smarties" and its companion book "tree and hierarchies in
sql". Way to think outside the box. It just gets a bit more complex when it
comes to moving nodes around, but if you have the sprocs handy, you're in
business.

As far as the hierarchy datatype, I've only played with it briefly to study
for a cert. It works well, as far as I remember. While under the hood it's
pretty much a binary representation of materialized path implementation,
the fact that it's a CLR object means it comes with a bunch of helper
methods out of the box. Very much like spatial data, if you've ever worked
with it (again, awesome).

What I am wondering is why you are considering the change if you are happy
with the speed and stability of your current implementation (or are you
just curious?). Also consider the fact that using the hierarchyID will make
it harder to move to a different DBMS or a pre-2008 server if the need
arises.

To answer your question based on my experimentation and readings, no, MS is
not full of it, and yes it's a step in the right direction. Just like CF
has always kept adding support for new stuff (xpath, cfdocument...),
microsoft is doing the same and that's a good thing.