yeah, that's a tricky one.

What your first RegEx was doing is the equivalent of saying:
"Match any number of characters (except for newlines), followed by any
character that isn't a double quote."

The first pattern will (usually) be matched first, then the RegEx engine
will start all over again until it finds any character that is a line break
(I think there may be more to it than that, something along the lines of '.
matches any printable character', but I may be wrong) which is followed by a
character that isn't a double quote.

(Just finished reading all about the internals of Perl's RegEx engine in
_Computer Science And Perl Programming_, bit of a heavy read, but I now know
all sorts of useless things about it :)

--
 Lindsay Evans.
 Developer,

 [p] 8596.4000
 [f] 8596.4001
 [w] www.redsquare.com.au

<snip/>

---
You are currently subscribed to cfaussie as: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

MX Downunder AsiaPac DevCon - http://mxdu.com/