What you're trying to use is called implicit getters and setters.  It is implemented in AS 2.0, but has not yet made its way to CF.  It's a nifty way to implement data hiding as well as add some functionality behind your getters and setters.   When implemented it looks just like you're setting and getting a property of the object.

HTH,

Andy