> Background:  "LSL" (Linden Script Language) is the underlying
> language that drives the Second Life environment
> (http://www.secondlife.com).
>
> LSL is not capable of "objects", so it cannot instantiate a
> web service object and then consume that web service by
> calling functions on the instantiated object.
>
> Per this wiki page:
>
> https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlHTTPRequest
>
> The LSL developer I am working with will be using an HTTP
> request to consume my ColdFusion web service.
>
> So... How the heck should I build the functionality into a
> CFC, but allow Second Life to consume it using an HTTP POST
> or GET?  Do I have to create a wrapper for my CFC?  Should I
> not bother with a CFC at all?
>
> I'm sure I can solve this quickly without having to get an
> answer from anyone, but I'm wondering what the "recommended"
> or "best" way to approach this might be.
>
> Thanks for any insight you can offer!

Web services that don't conform to SOAP, XML-RPC or some other standard are
generally called "REST" web services (); that's essentially what you're
going to end up writing. You can do this with a CFC, by having your client
call specific methods embedded in the URL of the request, or with a CFM if
you prefer. The core logic used by your web service interfaces (REST and/or
SOAP) could well be contained in a private method of your CFC, or within
another CFC entirely - it's pretty common to separate the two, using the
public CFC somewhere in your web root as a façade that invokes the
underlying CFC presumably not in your web root.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/

This email has been processed by SmoothZap - www.smoothwall.net

You are subscribed to cfcdev. To unsubscribe, please follow the instructions at
http://www.cfczone.org/listserv.cfm

CFCDev is supported by:
Katapult Media, Inc.
We are cool code geeks looking for fun projects to rock!
www.katapultmedia.com