Thanks, Peter.

The reason I asked about "compiling" is that if there are any XS module, or
c libraries in the module or in the dependencies then I probably can't run
with it.  My host is pretty good about installing the Perl modules that I
request, but I'm not the only one who will be running the app, and other
hosts might not be so oliging. Consequently, I'm looking for pure Perl
modules.

Thanks for your advice re posting. I'll be more careful in future.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Peter Masiar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
Sent: Thursday, 5 August 2004 7:58 a.m.
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: FW: A couple of questions for a newbie


Dan Horne wrote:

> 1. Will CGI::Application work in a shared hosting environment where I 
> won't be able to compile it myself. I'm hoping that I can copy across 
> my installation and set my "use lib" in my scripts? (I guess this also 
> applies to CGI::Session too). I've had a quick browse through the 
> files and it seems to be okay, but there may be dependencies that I'm 
> not aware of...

IMHO you do not have to think about "compiling" perl programs, unless 
you run them under mod_perl. What you need to be concerned, IMHO, is 
about your ability to install CPAN modules - you need root access to do 
that. Find which modules you need, and talk to your hosting company, or 
whoever is your root (administrator).

Like: "is CGI::Application installed? Which missing CPAN modules you can 
install for me?"

> 2. I'm wondering how people split their application module. My shared 
> host seems to perform okay, so I may be able to stick the whole app in 
> one module, but I'm wondering if anyone has found that it's better to 
> spread the load across a number of modules to reduce compilation time 
> etc. Sadly, mod_perl isn't an option for me

Look into email archives - many ways and approaches to split 
functionality into modules was discussed many times.

http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
like here:
http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg01876.html


Also, IMHO you are much better off asking one question per email thread, 
with  meaningful, related message subject :-)

-- 
Peter Masiar,




---------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Archive:  http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/
              http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=cgiapp&r=1&w=2
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reply via email to