On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 00:15:23 -0400, Michael Graham wrote:

Hi Michael

> I'd like to be able to easily create temporary sessions for
> specific purposes.  For instance, it would be nice to create a
> session for a multi-page form, and use this to store the state
> between pages instead of using hidden fields or the user's own
> session.

Exactly. I deal with departmental staff lists, and people's names are displayed
in a specific order when staff do a search on a department's name. This order is
called Order of Merit (OOM). It's just to make Enquiries phone numbers appear
before those of live! staff, with postgrads last :-).

Now, in the editing screen, if the user submits a form of 310 staff details,
with N fields per person (sigh) I keep the OOMs in the session table, and
compare them against the incoming data. That way, if the OOM has not changed I
do not hit the database, and visa versa, only update the personnel record when
the OOM has changed.

Hmmm ... thinks ... I'd better check the code to ensure the session is updated,
not just the db (mega-sigh).

--
Cheers
Ron Savage, [EMAIL PROTECTED] on 18/06/2005