> At the point that setup() is called, we do not know what the run-mode is.
> In fact, the settings in setup() define exactly how we figure that out.
> (See the mode_param() method, for instance.)

Yea, we had talked about this.  We were not sure what type of changes to the
objects the calls to '$self->run_modes( )' and '$self->start_mode( )' made.
We speculated that an internal variable was set some place here we could
check.

> The "best" way to find out the run-mode in setup() is to check
> whatever form
> parameter you intend to define via mode_param().

Via loading the '$self->query( )' object and using it's '$query->param( )'
method?  This would work and not annoy any of the inner workings of C::A?

> In general, however, it is best not to do something which would
> require that
> you need to know the run-mode during setup().  Instead, consider putting
> that code into your run-mode methods.  With some savvy object-orientation,
> you can probably accomplish whatever goal you had in mind, via run-mode
> methods instead of in setup().

Our goal is to be able to create a 'superclass' to use to develop the rest
of our system.  The reasoning behind asking the C::A what run-mode it was
going to run in 'setup( )' was so that we could validate the user's session
and authorize them to run said run-mode.  Failing authorization would result
in a 'die( )' call, success in the run-mode being executed.

Perhaps I didn't mean 'setup( )' perhaps I meant 'cgiapp_init( )' which is
the method used for creating superclass.

So I restart my question :

At the point when execution is within 'cgiapp_init( )' I hope to find a way
to harvest (1) a user cookie, (2) the run-mode we are accessing, (3) the
parameter that the application was called with via the '.pl' script.

Thanks again (Jesse especially!) everyone,

Cory