On Thu, 23 May 2002, tomasz konefal wrote:

>     as it stands, i've got a run mode which displays the form
> (add_monitor) and accepts input.  when the form is submitted, it is
> redirected via hidden form input to the 'add_monitor_process' run mode
> (this run mode does not display anything to the user directly).  it
> verifies the input and if it's clean attempts to add it to the database.
>    if successful it issues "return $self->add_successful('monitor')",
> otherwise it issues "return $self->error_page('couldn't add monitor')".
>
>     this last part with the returns just doesn't feel right - is there a
> way which is preferred by the C::A gurus out there that i haven't
> heard/thought of?  could the new prerun code in C::A help with this?

This is almost exactly what I do. The one difference my standard setup
is that if there is an error, I return the original form, pre-filled
with their data, with a general error message at the top of the page and
some text to highlight the problem spots. It's a little more work to do
this, but know I nearly always use this system, figuring that for a
small form it's only a little extra work, and for a very large form,
this kind of context makes a big difference.

I've got a web-to-email form app that uses this that's almost generic
enough to release as stand-a-lone module.

 -mark

http://mark.stosberg.com/