From: dub-bounces at dub.washington.edu [mailto:dub-boun...@dub.washington.edu]
On Behalf Of Morgan Dixon
Sent: Monday, November 14, 2011 11:13 AM
To: dub at dub.washington.edu; Neil Patel
Subject: [dub] dub seminar 11/16 Neil Patel : Voice-based Social Media for
Rural Communities

Hello dubbers!
Please join us on Wednesday for our weekly DUB seminar.

Speaker: Neil Patel (Stanford / Awaaz.De)
Wednesday, November 16
12:00-1:20pm
EEB 403 (map<http://washington.edu/maps/?EEB>)
Title:
Voice-based Social Media for Rural Communities

Abstract:
Online communities enable people to access and share information, but they are
out of reach for poor and isolated communities around the world. Mobile phones
have the potential to overcome the PC's accessibility, affordability, and
familiarity barriers. However, most mobile information services limit rural
populations to being passive knowledge consumers, not active producers. My
dissertation explored the design and usage of voice-based social media for
rural communities. My collaborators and I designed Avaaj Otalo ("voice stoop")
a voice message board application that allows small-scale farmers in India to
share agricultural advice by posting, listening to, and replying to others'
messages using any phone. AO has been live and accessed by thousands since
2009. In all, we have deployed voice message boards with 8 partners in 6 states
across India working in agriculture, labor rights, women's empowerment, and
education, logging over 100,000 calls from over 10,000 callers.

Bio:
Neil Patel is co-founder and CEO of Awaaz.De, a company that develops social
information platforms for the majority of world's people who do not have access
to the Internet. He completed a Ph.D in Computer Science from Stanford
University, and B.S. degrees in Computer Science and Business Administration
from UC Berkeley. He currently commutes between his homes in California and
Ahmedabad, Gujarat.

--
Morgan Dixon
Ph.D. Candidate