Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 11:20:33 -0700
From: "Benj. Mako Hill" <makoh...@uw.edu <mailto:makoh...@uw.edu>>
To: cdsw-annou...@uw.edu <mailto:cdsw-annou...@uw.edu>
Subject: Community Data Science Workshops
<mailto:20150317182033.gi22...@yukidoke.org>>

Greetings!

[ Please feel free to forward this on to any other people or lists you
 think might be interested! ]

By popular demand, I am helping organize another round of the
Community Data Science Workshops. The workshops will be three and a
half day-long workshops in April and May for anyone interested in
learning how to use programming and data science tools to ask and
answer questions about online communities like Wikipedia, free and
open source software, Twitter, civic media, etc. These will be an
improved version of the workshops we have run in the spring and fall
last year.

The workshops are for people with no previous programming experience
and, thanks to sponsorship from eScience and the Department of
Communication, are free of charge and open to anyone.

Our goal is that, after the three workshops, participants will be able
to use data to produce numbers, hypothesis tests, tables, and
graphical visualizations to answer questions like:

 - Are new contributors to an article in Wikipedia sticking around
   longer or contributing more than people who joined last year?

 - Who are the most active or influential users of a particular
   Twitter hashtag?

 - Are people who participated in a Wikipedia outreach event staying
   involved? How do they compare to people that joined the project
   outside of the event?

Details and dates are online here:

 http://wiki.communitydata.cc/CDSW_Spring_2015
<http://wiki.communitydata.cc/CDSW_Spring_2015>

If you are interested in participating, fill out our registration at
the link above before April 3. Register soon because we have been
oversubscribed both previous times we have run these workshops.

If you already know how to program in Python, it would be really
awesome if you would volunteer as a mentor! Being a mentor will
involve working with participants and talking them through the
challenges they encounter in programming. No special preparation is
required. If you’re interested, there’s a link on the page above or
you can send me an email.

Regards,
Mako
(On behalf of Jonathan, Tommy, Ben, Dharma and all the CDSW mentors.)

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
http://mako.cc/academic/ <http://mako.cc/academic/>

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far
as society is free to use the results. --GNU Manifesto

----- End forwarded message -----