From: Christopher Maclay <christophermac...@gmail.com>

We're looking for an Innovation and Digital Coordinator in Nairobi. Please
see posting here: http://reliefweb.int/job/1870559/innovation-and-
digital-coordinator

Mercy Corps is a leading global relief and development agency saving and
improving lives in the world’s toughest places. We are powered by the
belief that a better world is possible. Across the more than 40 countries
in which we operate, we are working to address root causes of poverty head
on, and helping those caught in crisis not only meet their immediate needs,
but build a brighter future. In taking on these challenges, Mercy Corps
does not act alone nor are we satisfied with business as usual. In our
work, we strive to innovate for greater impact – often through increased
take-up of technology and investment in market-driven models. In our work,
we see technology as an enabler to improve scale, access, efficiency,
engagement, and effectiveness in our global work.
Mercy Corps is looking for committed and dynamic individual to take up the
following position.

*TITLE: INNOVATION AND DIGITAL COORDINATOR*
*LOCATION: NAIROBI*

*PROGRAM/DEPARTMENT SUMMARY:*
Youth Empowered for Success (YES!) is a partnership with the Coca-Cola
Africa Foundation (TCCAF) and Harambee which seeks to enhance employment
for 25,000 young people in six African countries by 2018, and 500,000 by
2022. Mercy Corps is the lead implementer in Kenya, Uganda, Liberia,
Nigeria, and Tunisia. The program has three work streams:
- Core YES! Model: Localizing the YES! model in 6 countries to improve the
employment and entrepreneurship of 18,000 youth;
- Innovation and Digital: Driving innovation in youth employment in Africa
through the identification, incubation and scaling of breakthrough business
solutions for youth employment;
- Thought leadership: Research and learning on youth economic empowerment
in Africa, building an evidence base enabling partnerships to scale to
reach 500,000.

*GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:*
YES!’s Innovation and Digital work stream was approved in December 2016,
which seeks to identify, incubate and scale breakthrough solutions for
youth employment in YES! target countries. Through the Innovation and
Digital Coordinator, the program seeks to support two types of initiatives:
1) Core investments, which support the development and scaling of products
and services in the Human Resource, training or job match sector, whose
businesses are directly geared towards facilitating and enhancing
employment and employability; and
2) Ancillary investments, which develop of new methods sales or business
which have the ability to enhance youth employment and/or create jobs.
The YES! Program will support these initiatives through project-based
financing, technical support, convening, and connection to youth within the
program.

*ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:*

*Strategy Development*
 Lead the development of YES! Digital and Innovation Strategy, including
pipeline development, contracting, technical support and more.
 Revise strategy in line with emerging opportunities, including new
funding and fundraising opportunities.
 Work with Results, Learning and Research Coordinator to establish methods
for measuring and evaluating investment impact.

*Pipeline Development*
 Develop a pipeline of potential partnerships, covering a breadth of
organizations including job matching, training and more.
 Maintain strong connections with the regional start-up scene, maintaining
responsiveness to opportunities.
 Work creatively with target partners to ideate and co-develop concepts
for new products and services.
 Conduct Due Diligence, vet, and prepare documentation on longlisted and
shortlisted partnerships.
 Take a collaborative and supportive approach when working with private
sector partners.

*Contracting and Partner Administration*
 Work with Mercy Corps legal teams to develop suitable contracting
mechanism and contracts for YES! Innovation and Digital partners.
 Function as focal point for contracting and partner management.

*Partner Support*
 Provide technical support to YES! Innovation and Digital partners,
including on market research, product development, and human-centered
design.
 Convene different actors and stakeholders for collaborations, where
appropriate.
 As required, bring in external expertise to support partners.

*Research & Thought Leadership*
 Work with the Results, Learning and Research Coordinator to ensure
effective learning from YES! Innovation and Digital partnerships.
 Participate in, and generate insights, for Thought Leadership events on
innovation and business solutions to youth employment.

*Other*
 Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a
manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its
humanitarian mission.
 Other duties as assigned.

*Organizational Learning:*
As part of Mercy Corps’ agency-wide Organizational Learning Initiative, all
team members are responsible for spending 5% of their work time in formal
and/or non-formal professional learning that benefit Mercy Corps as well as
themselves.

*ACCOUNTABILITY:*
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards
accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international
standards guiding international relief and development work while actively
engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design,
monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.

*SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: *None
*REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: *YES! Program Director
*WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: *YES! Results, Learning and Research Coordinator,
YES! Innovation and Digital Partners, YES! Program Managers in 5 countries.

*KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:*
 Minimum of 4 years of experience in a combination of strategy and
business consulting, impact investment, product design, or relevant areas;
 BA/S or equivalent in Information Technology or related field of study.
An MBA is an added advantage;
 Experience in Management/Development consulting firms or business
incubators/accelerators working with start-ups and SMEs on business
modelling, strategy and/or product development is required;
 Experience working in/with start-ups is required. Experience related to
employment generation is an added advantage;
 Experience working with impact investment is an added advantage;
 Demonstrated ability to design and implement strategy;
 Exceptional writing skills, and ability to present complex concepts
and/or analysis clearly;
 Willingness to travel to YES! Country programs in Uganda, Tunisia,
Nigeria and Liberia;
 Experience and passion working in youth employment is a plus.

*SUCCESS FACTORS:*
 The successful Innovation and Digital Coordinator will show flexibility,
a can-do attitude, and a willingness to test, adapt, learn and improve.
 S/he will be a self-starter and a doer, capable of driving the Innovation
and Digital work stream with minimal supervision.
 S/he will have a creative mindset, with ability to generate new ideas,
coupled with attention to detail and ability to get things done.
 S/he will have strong social and collaborative skills, with an ability to
maintain an extensive network of partners and professional connections.

*Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and
experience should submit a cover letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV)
listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to
ke-hrke...@mercycorps.org <ke-hrke...@mercycorps.org> on or before Monday
6th February, 2017 by 4.00pm. The email subject line must clearly indicate
the job title and location being applied for.*
*Applications without an appropriate subject heading will be automatically
disqualified. Please do not attach any certificates.*
*Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and only shortlisted
candidates will be contacted.*
*NB: Mercy Corps does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment
process.*