Reminder: this is in 1 hour!

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Esther Jang <infra...@cs.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, Oct 30, 2017 at 9:47 PM
Subject: UW Change Seminar 10/31: Jason Yip- Digital technologies in family
participation and collaboration
To: change@change.washington.edu, d...@dub.washington.edu

Please join us for the Change Seminar this week on *Tuesday 10/31/2017* in
HUB 214.

*Who:* Jason Yip (UW iSchool)

*What:* *How do digital technologies support how families participate and
collaboratively learn together?*

*When:* Tuesday Oct 31
*Where:* 12pm in HUB 214

*Abstract:* The overarching goal of my research program is to answer the
question: “How do digital technologies support how families participate and
collaboratively learn together?” This question is pertinent for many
reasons. Families today are adopting technologies for learning at
unprecedented rates. As well, digital youth are often not separate from
their families. Instead, the family unit can be a long lasting and
impactful influence on how technology is utilized for life-long learning
(both formal and informal learning). Specifically, one area of my research
is examining how English-language learning (ELL) families collaborate
together in learning and problem solving. To understand these family
collaborations, my research 1) builds new sociotechnical systems to promote
family engagements; and 2) examines how current sociotechnical systems
influence family interactions. In this talk, I will highlight two
sociotechnical systems. The first is *BlockStudio*, a programming tool for
families and children (ages 8 – 13) facing English-literacy challenges
(building). The second is how ELL families and children (ages 10 – 17)
search the internet together. This talk will conclude with a brief
discussion on lessons learned about family collaboration among ELL
populations.

*Bio:* Jason Yip is an assistant professor at the Information School in
University of Washington. His research examines how technologies can
support parents and children learning together. He is a co-principal
investigator on a National Science Foundation Cyberlearning project on
designing social media technologies to support neighborhoods learning
science together. He is the director of KidsTeam UW, an intergenerational
group of children (ages 7 – 11) and researchers co-designing new
technologies and learning activities for children, with children. Dr. Yip is
the principal investigator of a Google Faculty Research Award project that
examines how Latino children search and broker online information for their
English-language learning parents. He is a senior research fellow at the
Joan Ganz Cooney Center at Sesame Workshop. He holds a B.A. (2001) in
chemistry and M.S.Ed (2002) in science and math education from the
University of Pennsylvania, and a Ph.D. (2014) in curriculum and
instruction from the University of Maryland.