Please join us for the Change Seminar next week on *Tuesday 1/30/2018* in *EEB
003*.

*Who:* Samia Ibtasam, PhD Candidate in UW ICTD
*What:* *Digital Financial Services and the Impacts of Gender and
Learnability on Adoption*
*When: *Tuesday, Jan 30th, 12-1pm
*Where: EEB 003*

*Abstract: *
Worldwide, two billion people remain unbanked, the majority of whom reside
in resource-constrained environments. While banks have limited reach due to
high overhead costs of physical expansion, the global increase in mobile
penetration has created opportunities to serve the unbanked using
mobile-based Digital Financial Services (DFS). However, there are many
factors that affect the understanding, adoption, and use of DFS including
learnability of the systems and gender of the users.

In this talk, we discuss ways in which previous exposure or domain
knowledge improve learnability, and we recommend that metrics for
learnability should include effectiveness and help sought, independent of
usability. We also identify DFS adoption opportunities such as user
readiness, interface improvements, and women's independence. We also
discuss the role of gendered barriers in the readiness for and adoption of
Digital Financial Services (DFS) and the impact of gendered roles in
curtailing or enhancing the same. We present our analysis of the
affordances or, lack thereof, in affordability of funds, the authority of
transactions, access to technological devices, and agency of social and
cultural mobility--all of which are prerequisites to fully utilizing DFS.

*Bio: *
Samia is a second a second year Ph.D. student in the Paul G. Allen School
of Computer Science and Engineering at the University of Washington and is
advised by Richard Anderson. Previously, she worked as the founding
co-director of Innovations for Poverty Alleviation Lab (IPAL) at
Information Technology University, Pakistan and taught courses like DLab:
Global Development, Human Centered Design, Design thinking, and Technology
for Global Development.
She has been working as a researcher in Information and Communication
Technologies for Development (ICT4D) since 2010. She started her work with
speech interfaces for low-literate users with Umar Saif, Roni Rosenfeld,
and Agha Ali Raza. At IPAL, she worked to design Maternal, Neonatal and
Child Health (MNCH) solutions including information systems, diagnosis
applications etc. She also worked with Government of Punjab, Pakistan to
redesign the Immunization card and create digital health records for the
province of Punjab. Currently, she is using her knowledge of Human-Computer
Interaction to work with unbanked people to design and adapt financial
technologies and to expand financial inclusion. She is an Acumen Fund
Regional Fellow for 2015 and sometimes tweets at @SamiaRazaq.