Hello!

We will have Josh Hug from UC Berkeley joining us this week for a special
change seminar on Wednesday at 10:30 in CSE2-371. (There will not be a
speaker on Tuesday.)

We hope to see you all there, but if you can’t make it we will send out a
livestream link before the talk on Wednesday as well!

*Embedding Social Impact Awareness into Introductory CS Education*

*Abstract*
Computer science and data science education provide our students with
tremendous power and responsibility immediately after graduation. Many of
our graduates find themselves embedded in organizations like Facebook,
Google, and Amazon that shape the destinies of billions of people around
the world. As university instructors, we do a great job providing the
technical foundation for our students' future careers, but I believe that
we could do a much better job helping students chart the broader narrative
arcs of their lives.

Berkeley has long had a dedicated Social Implications of Computing Course.
In this class, we discuss the impacts of computing on all aspects of
society, and have students discuss and reflect on some of the big ethical
challenges faced by technical workers and entrepreneurs, e.g. free policies
on social media platforms. Recently, we have begun to integrate such bigger
picture discussions into our technical coursework. In this talk, I will
describe these efforts to integrate professional development, career goal
reflection, and ethics into three core technical courses in UC Berkeley's
CS and Data Science Majors, as well as the challenges we've faced along the
way.

*Bio*
Josh Hug is an Associate Teaching Professor in Computer Science at UC
Berkeley. He completed his PhD in EECS at UC Berkeley in 2011, with a
primary focus on reverse engineering of bacterial signal processing systems
and bacterial decision making and a minor focus in education. After
Berkeley, he taught at Princeton from 2011-2014, where he helped develop
the Princeton Algorithms MOOC on Coursera. He joined the Berkeley EECS
faculty in 2014. He most frequently teaches Data Structures, Data Science,
and the Social Implications of Computing, and is the Equity and Inclusion
Officer for CS undergraduates. His primary research interest is in learning
at scale, especially tools and social structures for supporting struggling
students. Before UC Berkeley, he was born, raised, and went to college in
Texas where it was very hot and there were many terrible bugs. Prior to his
time in the Lone Star State, he was a dispersion of random molecules,
unassembled into any greater being.