Hi all,

We invite you to our next session of the X4D Talks <http://x4d.org/> on *March
23rd 0800 PDT/1500 GMT/2030 IST on Sustainability and Development*. Our
speakers include:

*Barath Raghavan,* University of Southern California, USA
*Computing within Limits *
Global society has run up against the limits of the global ecosystem. This
has happened during an era in which computing has become central to society
and to the management of societal challenges. What are the ecological and
social limits that we are likely to face in the future, and what is the
role of computing in responding to them?

*Bonnie Nardi,* University of California, Irvine, USA
*Post-Growth *
To fix our broken global economy which has become dependent on ruinous
growth, scholars and activists propose a post-growth economy of socially
sustainable and equitable reduction of resource use coupled with changes in
distributive practice. The ideas are as much about reimagining how we
relate to each other and the world as they are about production and
consumption. Post-growth philosophy suggests that we can do better than the
the alienations of neoliberal atomism and the hyper-competitive struggle in
which someone or something is always losing. Unexamined notions of
"freedom" enshrined in current economic ideology implicitly demote
solidarity, caring, and mutual respect for human and non-human. What do the
post-growthers have to say?

*Anjali Mohan*, Integrated Design, National Law School of India University,
Bangalore, & TLI Bangalore, India
*Decentralised Socio-Technical Imaginaries as Pathways to Sustainable Urban
Development *
Amidst arguments for steady state, degrowth, post-development, and
post-growth economies, this talk focuses on alternative visions of
development informed by bottom-up socio-technical imaginaries premised on
the ‘stubborn ground realities’. The talk draws on interventions towards
enhancing water resilience in urban poor settlements in the city of Ranchi.

*Jay Chen*, International Computer Science Institute, USA
*Sustainability or Development? *
Sustainability and development are both urgent problems. Given the finite
availability of resources, the two goals seem fundamentally at odds. How do
we do both? Are there synergies or alternative conceptualizations that can
help?

*When:* March 23rd 0800 PDT/1500 GMT/2030 IST**
*Where: *https://ucl.zoom.us/j/95227615667

Warmly,
Neha & Akhil