Hello Everyone,

In preparation for the Fall quarter, I want to invite you all to register
for the one credit Change Seminar (CSE 590 C1, SLN: 13550) on Tuesdays from
12-1pm in Gates Hall, CSE2 271.

Change (http://change.washington.edu) is a group of faculty, students, and
staff at the UW who are exploring the role of information and communication
technologies (ICT) in improving the lives of underserved populations,
particularly in the developing world. We cover topics such as global
health, education, micro finance, agricultural development, and general
communication, and look at how technology can be used to improve each of
these areas. We are in the process of scheduling speakers, so stay tuned to
our calendar (http://is.gd/3PkTF) or mailing list (http://is.gd/3PlkS) for
more information.

Please consider enrolling.  If you are unable to enroll, feel free to come
to any of the meetings you are interested in attending! The seminar is
available for all UW students and the content is designed to be widely
accessible. We encourage students from all departments to enroll/attend if
interested.

Please forward this message to any other relevant mailing lists, and we
hope to see you tomorrow for Matt Ziegler's Talk from his COMPASS 2021
Honorable Mention Paper *“How’s Shelby the Turtle today?” Strengths and
Weaknesses of Interactive Animal-Tracking Maps for Environmental
Communication *

Abstract: Interactive wildlife-tracking maps on public-facing websites and
apps have become a popular way to share scientific data with the public as
more conservationists and wildlife researchers deploy tracking devices on
animals. Environmental organizations engage with the public for a variety
of reasons: to raise awareness of environmental causes, build relationships
with potential partners, and encourage people to take political and
personal actions. However while there is a large body of work comparing
different media strategies for environmental communication goals, the
effectiveness of interactive data visualizations for these purposes remains
unclear. This work examines the strengths and weaknesses of interactive
wildlife-tracking maps for environmental communication. We interview
conservationists about their aspirations for using these maps with their
own data, and conduct a study gauging lay users’ reactions to different
designs. Many conservationists aspire to create deep, immersive user
engagements with these maps—letting users relate to data-driven stories
about individual animals and freely explore the nuances of the tracking
data. Our findings show potential for the most highly-motivated users to
deeply engage with these data and stories, but more casually-interested
audiences struggle with the maps’ complexities. However for casual
audiences, wildlife tracking maps can still superficially but effectively
showcase the organizations’ work to protect the species; perhaps inspiring
hope for their future, attracting audiences to other communication channels
to learn more, and adding to the organizations’ credibility. Following
these insights, we present a set of design considerations for further
development of similar wildlife-tracking map applications; emphasizing
their needs for user onboarding, context for data interpretation, and
integration with relatable media.

Thanks,

--
Website: https://kurti.sh/