Another good upcoming jsde talk!

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Isabelle Cohen <imco...@uw.edu>
Date: Wed, Mar 2, 2022 at 11:21 AM
Subject: [jsde] Ted Miguel in JSDE on Monday, March 7
To: <j...@u.washington.edu>, <econg...@u.washington.edu>, <econfac...@uw.edu

Dear colleagues and students,

We are pleased to announce that *Ted Miguel* (UC Berkeley) will be
presenting at JSDE next week. The seminar will be held from *11:00 am -
12:30 pm *on *Monday, March 7*. The seminar and visit will be fully
remote, with the talk held at the link below. The title and abstract of the
talk are below.

*Zoom link: *https://washington.zoom.us/j/98113334162.

We have limited slots to meet with Professor Miguel.
(1) *Faculty members*: Please sign up at this link
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1c5wNZAkXt_4eVq1TrbpD3DGSwDfH22RRANn7lATBxI0/edit?usp=sharing>.
If there are no spots remaining, please feel free to email me at
imco...@uw.edu.
(2) *Graduate students*: If interested, please email me at imco...@uw.edu
with your availability to meet on Monday, but note that we are unlikely to
be able to accommodate all requests.

*Title*: *What does donor conditionality do? Causal evidence from Kenyan
electrification *(joint with Catherine D. Wolfram, Eric Hsu and Susanna B.
Berkouwer)

*Abstract*: Multilateral organizations often impose conditions on the use
of financing they provide low- and middle-income countries, but what do
they do in practice? This question has been debated contentiously by
governments, multilateral organizations, and academics since at least the
1980s. It is difficult to answer causally due to the endogeneity and low
sample size of multilateral financing. To provide causal micro-evidence on
this topic, we leverage an unusual feature of Kenya’s nationwide
electrification program: the quasi-random allocation of villages across
multilateral funding sources. We conduct detailed on-the-ground engineering
assessments of transformers, conductors, and poles; collect
minute-by-minute household-level outage and voltage data; and conduct
household surveys on connection quality and usage. We find that relatively
burdensome World Bank contracting procedures delayed the start and progress
of construction by 6–10 months relative to African Development Bank funded
projects, and led to significantly fewer connected sites and households
four years later. Yet these conditions generated no detectable impact on
construction quality, power outages, voltage quality, or household energy
usage and spending. To disentangle two key dimensions of conditionality—ex
ante contracting steps versus ex post audits—we implement a randomized
audits scheme mimicking the latter, and find that this improves household
connections at low cost and without delays. In this context, combining
rigorous audits with more streamlined upfront contracting could potentially
improve the quality of public projects while limiting construction delays.

We look forward to seeing many of you there.

Best,
Isabelle

--
Isabelle Cohen (pronouns: she/her)
Assistant Professor, Evans School of Public Policy & Governance