I'll answer the parts of this I remember the answers to offhand and leave the rest for others:

What would an array of `var A : [D] C` contain by default?

This would be an error (assuming a semicolon after the 'C' rather than an `= ...`, as would `var A: C;` However, I believe at present, the compiler only checks the latter, not the former (i.e., there's still a TODO here).

Why not make all types nil-able by default and make nil-ability an opt-in feature?

That is a potential consideration for the future (but is not considered a breaking change since no other types are currently nilable).

-Brad