Hello, neighbors,

Kathleen, Sandy Waters, and I went on the Mount Vernon Holly Tour on
Sunday.  I was most impressed with four small houses on Tyson St. near
Read.  These houses were originally only about 10 feet wide, so people
were very clever about how they used space.  One house combined two of
these little houses, and it was really quite nice.  Lots of neat
furniture, small well-organized rooms.  I learned a new phrase:
chimney stair.  It's a tiny winding staircase that is so small it fits
between the chimney and a wall.  There was a gorgeous house on Chase
St., the one that has a boutique called Chase Street Accessories on
the ground floor, right near the American Inst. of Architects
building.  It was grand, with a tub, jacuzzi, and sauna on the 4th
floor.  They cleverly fit the ductwork for central air to pass through
the transom windows of the bedrooms on the 4th floor.

---

I was chatting with Matthew Kinkelaar this morning.
He owns the Village Properties Group LLC.  He told me
that he had a couple houses up for auction last week,
and he pulled them from the auction because the
highest bids didn't meet the minimum he was looking for.

He says he is seeing various indications that the market
in Charles Village is softening and thinks we're in
for a correction of 20 to 25 percent.  He thinks investors
and banks are losing patience and will soon start to
tighten the availability of easy money for mortgages
with low downpayments.

That seems unlikely to me.  I think it's more likely that
there will be a gradual levelling off rather than an
actual drop.  To my mind, a lot of the fundamentals for
the hot market are still in place.  Washington DC is
a driving factor, and as long as housing is scarce there,
there's pressure on the Baltimore market.  Mortgage rates
are climbing, but only slowly.  If real estate in Baltimore
is overvalued, it's overvalued to a lesser extent than
many other markets around the country.  This could work
to our advantage, because if there's a collapse somewhere
else, then real property investors might decide to shift
funds to a safer market, like Baltimore.  (Unless they
abandon real estate altogether...)

--Emil

--
Emil Volcheck