Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) is an excellent program that
CVCBD happens to be involved with.  There are other teams throughout
Baltimore City and nationwide.  I have been through the 4 basic training
sessions conducted by the Fire Department, and they are very
worthwhile.  My hope is that we eventually will have enough CERT members
to form teams in all of the Charles Village neighborhoods.  Waverly has
a team, albeit a small one, and if CVCBD ceases to exist, CERT will
continue in Charles Village.

The Red Cross training in shelter management on May 24 will include two
people from SS Philip and James Church, and there will be a meeting the
following day to work out logistics of a shelter at the church.  Cots,
etc. will be prepositioned there.  We want to be ready if, for example,
a hurricane with a 30 foot surge tide should come up the Bay (Isabel was
8 feet, but more recent studies say that 30 feet is possible).  The
entire Inner Harbor area, Fells Point, Canton and other areas hopefully
would be evacuated before the surge tide hit; we want to be ready to
shelter those who would come to our much higher ground.  And we do not
really know how well our 100 year old row houses will hold up to extreme
winds.

The point of CERT is to be ready for an emergency which is so large that
the normal emergency services (Fire, Police, Red Cross, from Baltimore
City and surrounding areas) are insufficient, at least for a while.  We
need to be ready to help ourselves and our neighbors.  FEMA is funding
CERT because of possible terrorism, but natural disasters are equally
possible.  And we are in a period of more hurricanes which, because of
global warming, are more severe hurricanes.

If you are interested in joining our CERT group, contact Bob Brinkman.
He has been doing an excellent job of coordinating our CERT group.

Steve.