To summarize, if you call 911 and a crime is *in progress*, then say so. The dispatcher needs to know that time is really of the essence.

Steve.

Katie wrote:

Dear Crime Alert list members,

After speaking with the Northern Police Department I would like to pass on a message. When you are calling 911 to report a crime it is important to know that the way in which officers are deployed depends on how the dispatcher reports the crime. If it is a crime IN PROGRESS it is very important to say so to the dispatcher. If the clarification between, *someone is breaking into my house* and something like *my house got broken into today*, is not made, the officers may not respond as quickly because it is not a situation in progress. Of course do not ever say that there is a situation in progress if it is not true, but if it is, it can mean the difference between a 10 minute response as opposed to a 45 minute response time. Also, it is important that you try to make contact with the officer when they show up to the scene otherwise the officer may not be able to complete the task they were sent there for.

I hope this helps everyone, not that I expect you all to be calling 911 all the time, but in case you do, you know the procedure.
Katie

Katie Beltz

Block Leader Coordinator

Charles Village Community